“LBI 008 – How To Save 1,000 in One Month!”
There are so many people out there with money issues. With so many distractions and things to buy it is difficult staying diligent with saving your money. Some of us find ourselves in bad circumstances because of it. That is why we wanted to give you some ways to save 1,000 in one month.
It could be that you want to kick off your savings account, your emergency fund, or have run into an emergency and need some extra cash fast! Whatever the situation, I know that we all could use an extra $1,000 so let’s get started!
Ways to Save:
1. Sell Your Old Furniture/Stuff- Try going through your things and list the items you could sell that you aren’t using or just don’t need. You can sell on craigslist or try to sell on ebay. If you try to sell it on craigslist make sure you don’t accept anything but cash, and that you try to meet them at a neutral location. If you are a women, then I suggest taking a man with you. You can bring your husband, dad, brother, or friend.
2. Do Not Buy Anything That You Don’t Need That Month- I know this might be difficult for most of us, but if you want to save as much as possible then you might have to make some sacrifices in order to achieve that. There will be items you need in order to survive (like food, shelter, etc.), but try not to buy anything else that isn’t needed (and NO just because that skirt looks good on you doesn’t mean you should buy it!). If you can do this and skip your morning latte for a month, then you will be surprised at the money you save just in one month alone. I have had to do this multi times in our marriage, and I am always glad once I have completed it. It not only gives us a head start on our money, but it also helps me grow as a person.
3. Cut Your Utilities Bill- You can do this in several ways. You can lower the heat in the winter, and turn off the AC in the summer. I know it won’t be the most pleasant environment, but it will save some extra money! If you have cable, then you can always get rid of it as well. My husband and I recently got rid of cable, but still enjoy the benefits of Netflix and Hulu Plus. So if you really like your movies and TV shows you don’t necessary have to give those up in order to save.
4. Find Ways To Make Extra Money- You might already have a full time job, but if you really want to save 1,000 in one month then you might have to work a bit overtime this month. Each of us have different skills and abilities we can offer, but find something you can offer as a side job and get to work! Some examples might include: mowing the lawns for neighbors, doing home improvement projects (that you are knowledgeable in) for others, tutoring, dog walking, dog sitting, babysitting, or anything else you could do with your skill set. My husband is great at flooring since he used to do that in the summer’s growing up. Now he takes on extra projects outside of our own home sometimes to make some extra money.
There are so many options out there. If you need some more ideas you can always google, “Ways to make extra money.”
5. Ask For A Raise- Depending on the type of job you have, there are ways you can ask for a raise. If you have been working at a company for a couple of years, then you can always go in and ask for a raise. Make sure you give reasons WHY the employer should give you a raise. It isn’t beneficial to go in empty handed. One of my friends leveraged their job by applying to another company. Once that other company offered them the job, then went back to their employers and stated they would leave unless the could guarantee steady work where he lived. I know this isn’t the same thing as a raise, but he was tired of driving all around for his job and this meant more to him than any pay raise would have.
Ramit Sethi has some great scripts for talking to your employer when asking for a raise. Just go to http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com for more information.
6. Be Creative!- There are so many other ways to save money. Sit down with your spouse or by yourself and create a plan of action. Think of it like a monopoly game, and try to think of other strategies to use in order to get where you want to financially!
We hoped you enjoyed these strategies as these are just some of the ways we try to save some extra money as well!
Rini and Jess~